I’ve spent more of my time logged into WordPress in the ‘sharing comments/likes’ section, than I have in giving you a “lil’ mobile library of posts at your fingertips” area…
My bad – as judged by some –
But I figure – I’m here for a different perspective from what seems to be the touted norms –
Yup, I still think the comments section of any post/product/news article, to be a gold mine – it will tell me what I need to know – really –
I may be wrong – but I still think I’m right – in the long run take of “in a hundred years, what will be the difference?” scheme of things….
Granted – I look at my stats – I have a frequently visited post that shows up simply because I chose to entertain myself and my followers by doing my in-depth review/how-to for a couple of purchased items, then shared the url to my blog post, instead of blogging in the ‘review this item’ section of the suppliers website –
-not because I’m a great writer, or star-bangled-awesome – but simply because, I have a community here of followers that seem to be rather on the same path as I, and I’ll write for sharing with them, first, about cool finds/experiments/successes and failures – and then share the link, instead of rewriting the sucker – again- when asked for a ‘review’ –
I’m lazy – what can I say? :)
( I swear, if I read one more ‘review’ that says, “Haven’t used it yet but have high hopes, based off what I’ve been told…” – complete with a 5 Star (or 10+ or whatever system the online entity has chosen to implement) – I’ll scream in frustration….
My take? If you haven’t used it, if you don’t know – RESIST The “Have to do” urge from the gazillion automated emails sent to you requesting you review your purchase! –
Seriously! I’ve gotten “Review Your Recent Purchases” email from folks well before I’ve even received the damn thing via shipping and had an opportunity to take said item out for a spin –
And, you can bet your dollar-bottom (my code for ‘arse’), I most likely ordered in the off-season, with a return customer coupon code –
So NO! – I ain’t gonna tell ya how the snowplow attachment I ordered really worked in reality when it’s frickin’ June -and I just received in the mail – Hell! It’s still stacked in a box on the front porch – awaiting it’s ‘implementation’ time – THEN I’ll tell ya how it worked out – “
And if I have to work a little harder to get to the right spot, cuz your emailed ‘Review Now” link has ‘expired’, cuz you wanted to track stats, but didn’t plan ahead for the day when someone like me might order – OR you decided to do a site redesign and didn’t bother fixing all your old links to match up with crap you sent out before – so be it – maybe I’m happy enough to leave an awesome or “OMG! what were ya thinking?” review in the right spot – maybe not – I’ll let ya know –
I guess, maybe at the end of the day, I’ll never really ‘get’ the wide spread and ‘have to do’ ‘tips and tricks’ of having a blog, promoting your biz, etc.
Cuz, for me, in the end…
It’s all about the Quality of the Community You Chose to Invest In
It’s about what you’re willing to say is important, even if you have to work, little bit by little bit over the next years, to make it happen – and it’s about what kind of folks you choose to ‘engage’ with –
I still, STILL, believe if most of our bright ideas were fashioned off this kind of base – well –
We might, as a species, start making better decisions – :)
Can You? Or Should You?
I guess, on a multitude of levels regarding my daily observation of life – I think of what Jeff Goldblum, as Ian Malcom in Jurassic Park – says it best:
“Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think about if they should…”
Yup, applies to cool tech tools, too – :)
And, at the end of the day – I guess, that still says it all for me – Yes – there are all kinds of bright, shiny, pie-in-the-sky promises of ‘what’s gonna deliver what I want ‘ – but do you, in the end, really know what you want?
I like to rely on waiting, pondering, thinking about, getting feedback, holding other’s accountable for what they said – (in either promotional or terms & conditions copy, or decisions, or choices, or what have ya – ) – AND yet, be the type of person that can hold the space to hear, “Yes – but now I’ve changed my mind – so now what’s an option?”
I have to take my lumps when I ‘do” when maybe I shouldn’t have, even though I could — so what makes anyone else different?
This is why I’m more vested in Community than I am in Technology –
You see – if I share enough, about me – reach out to you – and you can honestly say, “Hmm…I like this gal and what she has to say, even when she ticks me off…”
See how many fail-safes I already have built in?
Here’s the list:
- I’ve been totally honest, best as I know how, to share my current perspective of reality –
- You are free to point me in the direction of a ‘piece of the puzzle’ I may have missed, unless you just demand I buy into your view in face of missing facts or data – or want to forget what you insisted was true for you 2 months ago or 2 seconds ago – I do try to listen when you’re speaking…
- I don’t claim to be perfect or have all the answers
- I expect you to have a handle on what you really want – and if you don’t, to have the courage to say, “I’m not sure yet…” or “I don’t know…”
- I really, really want to be aligned with ‘a flock’ of humans – not a race, culture, nationality, religion, gender, etc., etc. etc (I am NOT going to list out all the various perspectives that exist in today’s world view – else this post would become a multi-volume tome – ) – that ‘gets’ that I wanna know what your take is – right now – I don’t care if you change your mind in face of new information or self-discovery – just let me know that the version of you I knew from before, has changed now – and you chose to change – and there’s a reason why – All I’ll ever really KNOW about you, is what you choose to share with me, tell me or what your subconconcious body-language, expressions or writings say over and over again, that I think you just might not be paying enough attention to – What I ‘pick up on’ may/may not be really TRUE for you and where you’re at – just now – cuz don’t ya know – I have my little flaws in perspective/filters in place, too – – :)
- One of our greatest gifts as a species, is the ability to hold the space for someone else to be their ignorant selves – AND the option to make a conscious choice to hold an open/curious/adventurous mind – No, it’s not easy, but with training, it makes Life Simple –
- I still believe our greatest perceived-by-others flaws/warts/challenges – Are, from another perspective, the saving grace – for us, for others – at one moment of space/time – maybe it needs to be ‘improved’ – maybe you just need to be a little more discerning on who you choose to bless with your so-called ‘flaws’ – and call people on when they complain about the very part of you that served them so well – but now, is unable to walk the new path they decided to go skippin’ down – with a wave and friendly, “Have fun! Not willing to go with ya right now – but be sure to touch base and report back how I’m missing out by bein’ stubborn – Luv Ya – Safe Journey!”
- I still believe our greatest enemy is lying to ourselves and thinking change is the exception, rather than the rule…
Yes, Community Still seems a Better Wager, to Me….
I’d rather slowly find a way to steadily surround myself by a community of folks who:
- Forgive me my ‘sins’ of uninformed thinking, while being open to possibility, I might have seen a perspective they haven’t…yet….
- See how my perspective might have some merits – or fatal flaws – and willing to discuss/debate it
- And – who forgive me when I get frustrated and blurt out, “I STILL DON”T GET IT! None of what you said makes sense to me -Am I stupid or do we need to work on our communication skills (‘we’ and ‘our’ cuz, communication takes two or more to play – well –
- Are willing to take the patience and time to educate me when I ask questions- Instead of getting mad cuz I don’t immediately see their reality as such –
So there it is – warts and all –
Why I’ve been struggling and not posting much, here lately – and spent more time writing long missives in comments sections – or like-likey-liking button pushing – or just scrolling through reading without doing much else –
I’ve figured out that what I thought was the ultimate ‘power for good’ of the online/internet/social media landscape – isn’t really the same infrastructure/use so many others see/use –
I have found out –
There are those who appreciate my blunt, blabby-advice-possibilities/encouragement ways –
Sometimes, what I post that is what I feel, and I fear may be too ‘raw’ or ‘scary’ is actually, exactly what another needed to hear – just now –
Sometimes, folks are kind and ignore me when I’m not at my best –
The ‘good’ outweighs the ‘bad’, given My Experience Data –
One connection at a time..at least in my lil’ world – and since my existence and self-identity – neither one – are tied to a gazillion stats graphs telling me how popular I am with the masses –
But comments/emails/PM indicate what I said made a difference – well…
Seriously – I don’t have much ‘hard data’ at hand to induce me to change much, just now – :)