Fresh from a ‘check in and see what’s going on” visit to Facebook, I simply must write an op-ed… which stands for…
I tell you, there are so many things ‘shared/posted/liked’ at Facebook, that just trigger My Need to spout off hard-arsed & uninformed opinions – my blog and you did have to work to get here, right?
I’ve given you ample opportunities to protect yourself, your reputation and brain – Can it PLEASE not be my fault if you failed to heed the warnings? – 🙂
P.S. – Don’t Iron your Own Clothes While Wearing Them… just saying….Cuz I Care…
If you ever need Blogging Ideas
Just log into your social media – it’s rich fodder for
“OMG! I simply MUST elaborate on this subject!” topics
Whether said posted Inspiration really happened or Not…
Okay, you actually clicked to hear what I really started off to say… so here ya go…
True Community Policing in Action
I was alerted by a ‘shared Viral Feed Post” about Some Trooper, in Some State, Somewhere, Working his favorite ‘speed trap’ Spot, only to discover Young Business Leaders of Tomorrow plying their trade down the road from him with homemade signs alerting:
“Speed Trap Ahead”…
and a handy-dandy Tip Jar shortly thereafter, to collect donations costing less than a ticket would from thankful souls – –
Do I really care if this story is true or not?
But I hope it is…
I love the story.
To me, it’s an example of True Community Policing in Action!
Because I’m Naive and choose to believe all active players in the story have the best intentions in place:
- Make our Local Community Safer
- Earn our Survival While Serving Our Community
AND, I also choose to foolishly believe said participants are smart enough to recognize they will be defiled, punished, judged by those who read the story and don’t spend 2.5 seconds thinking about the benefits vs. the costs, long term –
- Trooper may be demoted, docked, chastised for not meeting pencil-pusher quotas
- Kids will be seen as money-hungry selfish brats who don’t value a penny and what it can buy today
On the other hand – MAYBE, just maybe –
- Trooper won’t be called out on Over-Time pay to cover another fatality in the Neighborhood
- Kiddos make some spending cash AND get to be kids and occasionally forget they live alongside a high traffic road without risking life or limb –
Actually, my hard-arse, cynical brain thinks:
“Probably not true… but how Frickin’ Awesome would that BE, if it were true?!?”
I continually walk the high-wire balancing act between “I want to Believe” and “I Know Better…”
What do I Really Want to Believe?
…That the story is true –
- Trooper is a good guy who just wished to Serve –
- Kiddos in Community joined in with good hearts and entrepreneurial spirit
- Higher-Up-The-Food-Chain-Persons made sure to hand out Commendations, Certificates And Ample/Generous Notices if said Community Minded Actions resulted in violations of regulations regarding business licenses, sales tax/income tax due)
- Local, State and Federal elected officials take the time to laud, announce and promote this spirit of Cohesive, Community Service
Yes, I May Be Naive –
However, I still prefer my unicorns and rainbows perspective over what may be the reality of the whole matter –
Why am I so Stubborn?
Because I believe you, no matter where you’re at, or what reality you experience, are, at heart, like me –
- You cherish your loved ones
- You wish to thrive in this life and serve your community/tribe
- You yearn for the freedom to do live, serve and contribute in the manner you believe is best – and are open to re-examining ‘best’ alternatives when we disagree about what needs to happen to move forward in a manner that works for our current community AND the community we choose to expand the definition to cover in our self-improvement future –
If Only –
…We could just find some middle ground to agree upon as a starting point of what’s ‘best’ – overall- and ‘works for now’, with plenty of free space and open range to debate, discuss, brainstorm and improve as we go along….Who knows what may happen?
Ah… yes… I may Inhabit Fantasy Land…
But I still Hope…