As long time readers of BallyBin know, resolutions are always done on 12/31 and back-dated to 01/01 – Hey! If corporate, government and other entities can determine their fiscal year and when they actually file such things for public disclosure, why should I do less?
But, I admit, I’m a cynic – the new year in my country is gripped by good intentions, a slew of fitness, health, business and other purchases – is gripped by fear of what the tax man will say and extensions to be filed, paying off Christmas credit card purchases, etc., and so, in my own defiance of an insane system, I dutifully fill out my taxes on New Year’s Eve, close out my books, set my quests (some of which I may have latched onto earlier in the year, or have worked my way down my ‘bucket list of things to be done before I die’ – and, compile what has been accomplished this past year that I’m feeling good about –
For, in my mind, since my blog is my diary – for the most part – this is the only record of my journey. (Yes, I have in place my plan for life, it will change hither-wither, but, seriously, only at the end of the year, do I actually know what I accomplished – or donated – or acquiesed to – take it for what you will)
Given my tagline, we shall separate such reposes into the Good, Bad and Ludicrous, just to maintain form.
Shall we get the ‘bad’ out of the way early?
- I failed to gain a business partner – those I approached in 2014/2015 were either willing to work for the income, but didn’t want to mess with being a full, knowledgeable of all aspects partner – OR – those approached said, “sounds like a lot of work for little money” OR “Really? Why are you so wrapped around the axel about this?”
- I didn’t get my own new website published – I’m still pondering just exactly what I have to give that is best suited to me – and, given a new leaf, am loath to sprinkle it full of promises of services, that seriously, I really sort of chafe at providing….and so, there is further in Good, for this year’s pondering has led me to understand – there are things I love – things I don’t love but do in order to do what I love and things that I can let go of – 🙂
- I failed to make huge inroads into my little hermitude status – though I made forays into the world that those around me thought were good, I know the truth – I only ventured forth because what needed done, needed done, and didn’t do any of it for edification of my own soul.
- I sorely, despite my best intentions, failed to truly hear or understand the information being displayed before me by a customer – I, in my folly, descended into self and thought another just like me, and am waving goodbye to a short time customer – I vow to do better in 2016.
- I have enough customers that we may all move to better tools, now, and split the costs where-ever we may – to take advantage of collaborative model, rather than lone wolf model – one for all, all for one – which suits my take on things – I have now spent 3 years building, cost-sharing, investing in my business those tools that provide a community with cost-effective solutions until they are ready to take the next step – and easy to wave a tearful goodbye when they outgrow what I provide and wish them well as they move on to more attractive options, with a website that doesn’t have to be recreated in it’s entirety.
- I’ve learned more on my new tools and how to make various softwares jump through the hoops to do what’s needed until such time it’s just ‘included’.
- I’m getting better at turning away customers who aren’t willing to learn in the ever-changing software world and will use 2016 to better vet new customers given what lessons learned in 2015.
- I’ve said “No, I’m not your gal” and “Okay, sorry it didn’t work out for you, Bye…” 17 times this year –
- I’ve freed myself from maintaining servers and stuff I struggled to understand – in order to save $ and have enough customers now, that we can all have the ease and convenience of snazzier tools without the heart stopping “Security Alert Emails” that have awoken me in the middle of the night for the past 3 years – I’m not a hardware gal and after 3 years of trying, in order to provide lower costs for my local community, I’m so happy to have enough customers to not have to walk that path anymore – I’m sleeping better and not waking up at 2 a.m. with my heart in my throat – due to my own ignorance and or stuff that it’s my responsibility to fix, like, NOW!
- I decided in November of this year to start reading some of the All-Time Classics that I somehow missed having to read during my schooling years – so far, I’ve done 2 Dicken’s, Harper Lee and currently reading Thornton Wilder – I will be posting observations in the future – “) Have 23 books left to read, to check this quest off as ‘done’ – but alas, I only went through the top 100 – more will follow the older I get, I’m sure –
- I re-connected, via Facebook (gasp!) with some family and friends of yore that I had lost touch with – and, so far, none of them have “De-Friended” me, I count this as a success, cuz you know how blunt I can be at times.
- I have learned over this last year that being silent in consideration for another’s pain or challenge doesn’t necessarily make me a hypocrite who stands by silent when important things are at stake – who knew?
- I still dream of a mate who walks beside me the path of Life – and yet – still hurt, cynical, betrayed and ice-princess enough to believe, it will never happen any time soon – though I have healed many old hurts and have done my best to lay new ones delivered in 2015 in a less harsh light than I did previously – I’m still a Hard-Arse, though – for that is my favorite coping mechanism, I’m sorry to admit – but, work in progress and doncha know, figure you are too, even if you don’t see it yet.
- It’s a major election year and I’m struggling with all of it – but hold out hope I can fill out my mail in ballot (in case I haven’t gotten over my preferred hermitude status by next November!) to be an informed voter…
- Yes, I do my taxes, close out my books, take stock of my life and backdate my resolutions on 12/31/15 – for it works for me – and cheers me to face the new year coming forth
Happy New Year!
Unless you live or subscribe to a faith, nationality, cultural ideal that means I’m either early or late in wishing you a Happy New Year – know I wish it, just the same.