Okay – you know I just rather write on things important to my soul when I’ve had enough, right? (if you don’t, just visit Writer’s Wanted, Peaceful Souls Need Not Apply – and you’ll get some insight into imperfect me, in…a….nutshell….)
But, in my inner world, if one is going to rant/rave/comment on the things you do not support…..
(you know how that goes – share cool memes others share on social media, or sign petitions or donate to campaign finance across the spectrum from GoFundMe to Presidential candidates (with a few ecosystem orgs in between – sigh….)
THEN, it is only fair, just, proper, to give a Shout Out to those who DO their best to promptly meet what you say you want – –
Thus, I’m Giving GE Appliances a Shout-Out
For the following reasons:
- Yes, I FINALLY got a new refrigerator for me tiny home
- P.S. – NO – um-the old one hadn’t actually ‘died’ yet, but, I’ve wanted my ‘dream, tiny home/sq ft sized fridge for like, 3+ years?
- P.S.S. And NO – um – I don’t have the skills or tools or desire to convert the old one into a kegarator, (how cool IF I was actually brewing kegs of my own homebrew – but….
- P.S.S.S. – I’m not qualified to on purpose hope I ‘decommissioned an old fridge and made an ‘insulated raised bed out of…
- P.S.S.S.S. – I cannot, at this time, risk having a dead fridge just hanging out on the place until I have the tools, skills, know-how, etc., to put it to local recycling use – cuz ya know – IF only I had a 1968 Dodge Charger up on blocks that I was slowly restoring, well, maybe, JUST maybe, I could avoid ‘ a keep our town purdy’ violation ticket
- PPSS – I AM skirting the edges of violations with weeds gone out of control between blessed moisture, hoarded straw bales, mulch piles, pallets of stone/pavers/pvc and wood to get hammered into a cottage garden area – someday, when I can pay my bills AND also wake up on the weekend and say, “Coolio! I’m puttering around the garden today
- And…the old one’s seals were starting to get rather smarmy – I’d walk out and think, “Did I leave the freezer door open? HOLY COW! HOW much Electric bill, adding to global warming issues, climate, being a concientious consumer ….” Yes, that’s all the crap my mind serves up the minute I walk into kitchen and see the top freezer door with a 3 inch gap/no seal -welcome to ‘my world’ – 🙂
Oops! Got Sidetracked …
…sharing the back story – can you read further than 419 words? Can ya? 🙂
The real story that started this mess…
I received delivery, of a new refigerater/freezer on bottom, 24″ wide, made Consumer Reports ‘good buy’ – list, was on sale, supposed to get a rebate from my local electric power provider, that has a working light bulb, no handles that will break off during normal use on year 5 of living in home (not sure how old the prior one really was – – ) AND is Energy Star rated –
Cuz ya know, I’d love to go solar – but can’t figure out how to finance it, even though except in July/August my electric usage is less than grid connect fee, AND, while I use tech/electrical powered thingees – I try to be somewhat responsible on whether I should stationary bike pedal while I build websites, or not – –
See? Got sidetracked again….
But, in the end, I really wanted to make clear to you, (if you’re a bloggy pal, you already know and may/may not have read, and are chuckling and thinking, “Well, she’s a hoot/idiot, but she’s OUR hoot/idiot” –
And if you’re new to visiting Bally Bin?
Get used to it – – this is what it looks like, just now – maybe it’ll get better, maybe it won’t – place your bet and take yer chances –
Why, Yes! Here’s the Shout Out – awesome! portion…
I took delivery – I scanned, documented, submitted rebate information –
(not because I’m so frickin’ global environment conscientious, but, I STILL haven’t gotten the re-insulate job done and I could use the credit to defray electrical costs for keeping cool via window A/C, this late arriving summer (less each year as outside plants grow in size – but seriously – – insulation – – – coupled with repaired holes in 80 year lathe/plaster walls that are STILL opened up, due to great electrical re-do/upgrade of 2016 – yes, still trying to find time to patch those things correctly, save what is beautiful, turn into what is functional….)
Then I went over to register purchase online…
The top meandering reasons why I’m VERY Happy with GE Appliances/registration site –
- I Didn’t have to install an app on my phone to use (seriously, the phone that works for my life is seen as a ‘mini phone’ cuz it’s screen is small – If it’s small, I’ll take care to not lose it, knowing I will be prone to, right?
- I signed up, logged in, registered my appliance for warranty needs, BUT before I hit “SUBMIT” –
- Didn’t like everything I saw – had quick links to follow and not spend days of my life figuring out how to opt out –
- Submitted my ‘opt out’ request –
- Got a website page that basically said, “This is your reference number, thanks for contacting us – we’ll be in touch…”
- I saved a screenshot – I no longer trust any of this cyberland world – 🙂
- I figured to do the ‘wait/see’ how it plays out, REALLY!!!
Less than 24 hours later…
I get an email –
Please remove my information from any sharing or use for direct marketing activities. Please limit communications to those related to the proper care of, information on or related missives regarding the items I have purchased from/registered with you. Thank you.
And here’s the response I received – in less than 24 hours, mind you – this:
Thank you for reaching out to GE Appliances.
We will remove you from all of our solicitation list.
Signed by a unique name, who through signature line, wished me the best – –
Okay – still waiting to see how it all plays out – really – folks can have their policies, their online protocols, their GDPR, Privacy, Cookie mandates ALL in place –
Doesn’t matter really, in the end, unless they are serious about avoiding lawsuits, while engaging in nefarious, non-transparent, company/biz ways –
I recently worked to the background of Boston Legal TV series –
Funny – history repeating itself, playing out, in shorter time frames, ever more – I’m glad I’ve lived long enough to observe this shit show happening, once again –
I am glad I’ve managed to survive this long – why?
Cuz ya know…I read at night – I’m convinced I have cognitive bias in regards to how much we should depend upon newsletter emailed thingees, social media shares, AI customer service bots, or software that promises the world, but has the fine-print buried about what it really costs you in using the ‘free’ service.
You Made It!!! Through an experential, multi-faceted/topic post, to get to the conclusion!
(…or…You just jumped through heading tags, to get to what you really wanted – I’ll provide you that too, to avoid the pain of such things – like reading all the way through a 2,000 word post to find out, you can just skip to the recipe, bullet list of ‘instructions’ whatever – IF you wish to spend your time here at Bally Bin, THANK YOU! I swear to all that is holy, I don’t on purpose design stuff to make sure you spend as much time here as possible to get what I want…)
Ahem – The REAL Conclusion:
So far, I’m fairly impressed with the overall results from doing what’s in my best interest, in compliance with the rules set out forth by the one who said, “We’ll give you the world in easy way, here’s what it looks like – if you don’t want? Tell us -”
I will wait to see how it plays out – I’m rather cynical on all of this topic – – unsubscribe links that don’t really unsubscribe you – the time consuming ways one spends to navigate daily life of paying bills, getting insurance or ‘bridge the gap’ ways of online worlds that believe everyone has high-speed internet access, and/or can afford it, whether they are affluent enough to remember my joy at getting my Ham Radio Operator’s Tech license nearly a year ago?
Um…that joy diminished – once I actually signed up, paid my membership for associated .org entities – well – I got a LOT of junk email, junk snail mail, etc.
While I’m all for .orgs to keep operations going, best as they can, and while I’m all for keeping our national postal/mail system flourishing AND, don’t ya know, if we all write letters, cards – send thank you notes, etc, via other methods than digital – we ALSO preserve the possibility for someone to accurately report….later….what was going on at the time….
Emails? Not certain – how could Ken Burns wade his way through the congested, archived, saved, algorthim infested Inboxes of folks and tell the REAL story about someone, ever, in a timely fashion, IF we all only use text/digital to speak of our challenges and joys?
Especially going into this next year – aka – election year –
But, for the past 24 hours – I ‘took the time to read’, was able to navigate the site using my preferred browser, with security (HA!) functions implemented as best as I know how – and – at least someone replied within less than 3 weeks – better than, um ‘never replied’ –
All of this crap has been on the radar of MANY for MANY years –
The wheels of societal change, justice, law, government grind slow, yes they do –
Until such time as folks pull their heads out to remember recorded history whenever we make a ‘tech leap’ between what we can do and perhaps, what we ‘should do’ – whether building, providing, partaking in, etc, the things that drive us all crazy and make daily life a…well…shit show of wasted time just to file forms or what have ya – 🙂
For me? I can only continue to show up to serve ‘boots on the ground’ reality/goals, if I deem it is beneficial to others than just me – (see? It’s all about me – since this is my free blog – and you chose to read this far, you already know that…)
I can only speak up and say, personally, to providers –
“this sucked – given your ‘stated market’ copy on ‘who you prefer to provide services to’ – either you’re under the gun trying to live up to promises (I’m guilty of that) and/or you’re lying –
But in my world? IF one is going to use free blog/free speech thingees to gripe, they had best show up and say “albeit” a long winded, non-social share friendly way of saying,
” So far, so good and living up to online copy – “
I could tell you about what it costs, nowadays to hire geeks to get this online ‘done well’ stuff really aces –
I could also tell you about how it’s a growing in complexity layered system where either you deal with front line staff, a well run global biz or take the wannabees that just had a dream and realized, they need to go big or go home –
I could tell you about Social Media wars, how sized media plays into that, how true graphic designers who blog to inform, instead of blogging to sell –
I could also tell you about a wealth of folks willing to show up and ‘pay’ for the services provided, HOWEVER, I could also tell you about the number of folks who think there is still a free lunch to be had…But you already know all of this – but…sigh…just how things are, right?
Nope, call folks out – thank them, point out crap, whatever – this is what social/civil activism looks like on daily level for those who can’t ‘buy a loudspeaker/voice’ – with $ –
But I can’t – OOPS! Think I just morphed over 2,000+ words – yup – I could edit, make better – but let’s close with pictures of my morphing, get by with tiny appliances/old appliances removed pics, shall we?