On the Fence and Checking In….

Given local proactive steps to be cautious in stemming spread of the latest virus to spread globally, thought I would just check in and clear my latest post being one on parenting, which I no longer am in charge of for those not of adulting-it age….

(dare I name the virus and appear to try to hit SEO searches? I think not – If you do not know of what I speak, then I’m not certain how you have avoided this information, but even more surprising is you have avoided seeing the news, social feeds AND yet, here you are reading this…..Amazing!)

I’m not a regular news follower…

At least via station daily news or cable news. Usually, if I need to know something, the local errands run to the Post Office/Store, OR here at WordPress, Or a couple of Facebook groups I’m in, ensure I don’t miss much…although, was saddened to hear I missed the news of loss of a neighbor recently and was unable to attend the funeral/celebration of life…sigh –

That said, my world of ….hermitude? Obliviousness? has been impacted by the virus of which we shall not name, in attempt to not garner folks landing here thinking updated information is available…sigh – algorithms make me nervous – – LOL

Well, my daily operations have been affected, not hugely, but still….which is rather surprising to me, although, in retrospect, totally understandable –

Here’s the list:

• More website content work that keeps me up to date, whether I actively pursue or not, as some of my clients are public schools and one of them, along with other schools in our ‘local rural area’ are closing proactively for 16 days to deep clean and disinfect, and in hopes to stem spread possibilities now we have cases in our state (Colorado) AND Spring Break travel plans loom. Locally, we are nearing our usual Peak Period for annual seasonal flu stuff, anyhoo, so really don’t see any of it as a bad thing….
  • Since I do regular, rotating, bulk ordering from various vendors who sell the below items, I was disappointed to learn that I’ll either wait longer for orders planned for this month/quarter, to be compiled/shipped and on the fence, should I go ahead and place, in case panic/hoarding get bad? Or wait, to give my beloved small biz’s a break?
    • Dehydrated Veggies (read, prepper/survival food stores)
    • Essential Oils
    • Herbs
  • My financial teams were johnny on the spot – they let me know last week and before that about how if I would just PUHLEASE put their app on my phone, they have my back – Since I’m staying home and try to keep up on all things via desktop – I guess if things are bad enough I don’t have internet/electricity OR they don’t have personnel to handle/keep online operations going – we’ll each cross that bridge when/if it comes up
  • I spent last weekend in a hospital, while family member had surgery, in a county, where, to date, there is still only one case, due to travel, and so far, doesn’t appear any of us were ‘exposed’ – discharge came and family members all left for home about 4 hours after the first visitor restriction signs went up…
  • That said, I kept one doctor appointment (annual) upon arriving home, checked my mail and picked up a few items, but pretty much, just got home and stayed home to wait and see – proactively, as I have no reason to believe I was exposed – but why be an extrovert when I don’t have too and don’t want to be?
  • A friend’s time off from work to celebrate her birthday via a concert with friends at metro area some 2 hours from us was laid waste given concert cancellation and cases showing up in that area AND, she works at a nursing home, so she is being good, too, on limiting what she might expose herself too. Perhaps I’ll rearrange the living room, set up the vaporizer full of essential oils, set up the mini bar and tell her, if she figures I’m ‘safe bet’ on b-day celebrate pal, she can come over and I’ll play tunes and give her a spot to drink and dance – –

All that said….

I’ve already been accused of ‘not taking this seriously enough’ in various real life/online forums, which dismays me, as, I believe I’m doing my part to limit spread, not feed the ‘fires’ of panic and fear, and am well placed to fix meals and deliver to homebound neighbors should the need arise – cuz ya know, I have a freezer full of bones for broth making and buckets of dehydrated veggies for making light on the tummy foods, when folks don’t feel up to cooking for themselves – –

What else do these folks want?

Oh, and BTW – I’ve have PLENTY of Toilet Paper – I was in town for something else awhile back and needed a couple of items from Costco, and heck, while I was there, went ahead and got the TP I’d need to order in April/May, and bought extra dog food early, too, to avoid shipping charges, if I ordered online, instead of stopping by when in town anyhoo – I don’t get to ‘town’ (metro area an hour away) very often ….hermitude…saving the planet one gallon of gas/low tire wear/oil use at a time…. LOL

I have supplies for if a blizzard hits (we just got some snow showers today after nearly 2 weeks of what we locals call “Fake Spring” during which I didn’t get much sheet mulching done to ready for all the seeds I ordered in February).

I also have my emergency plans if a tornado its and quite frankly, these weather/power outage preparation things pretty much meet any ‘prepare for the pandemic’ lists posted and shared that I’ve seen – except for face masks – – sigh – I have a few in the first aid bucket – I think…or maybe in the little carry and go kit…they are somewhere – why hit the store and buy them out?

No Blizzards lately – we are due for one or more spring storms – ๐Ÿ™‚

I also have an oobers old 1/2 left bottle of bleach (quit using some time ago and hopefully it’s still in liquid form…), rubbing alcohol, vodka, everclear and kick-your-butt moon shine stores here and there around the house – for various reasons, rarely for actually DRINKING! but, still…..

So maybe I appear ‘too laid back’ about it all – but seriously? Just by saying my thoughts out loud, to those in my circle who have survived blizzards, tornadoes, no electricity for extended periods, droughts, floods, the Dustbowl and Great Depression?

They view me as one of the ‘fearful panicking city slickers’ if I even bring up the subject – –

So as usual, I plan for the worst, hope for the best, watch it all unfold and manage to tick off or concern everyone with my apparent failure to grasp the severity of the situation…. sigh….

But, I did look at the travel restrictions map when I was putting together a quick click resource list for my clients, should they wish to put up any closure or operational delay notices – and am now thinking of my bloggy pals who reside in the countries showing up in darkk orange on the world & USA travel restrictions/notices map –

Stay safe, be well and here’s hoping you are safe at home, in peachy condition and just LOOKING for an excuse to break into the moonshine stores, for an afternoon cocktail to go with your book by the fire, or book in the garden….. :).

The same folks who roll their eyes over pandemic fears cuz they’ve lived through quite a few things, swear moderate amounts of kick-your-butt hooch kills viruses & bacteria without totally wrecking your brain or tummy – – haven’t tested on myself, so who knows?

But most of them have spent a lifetime saying, “Well, I’ll either be dead or better in six weeks, so why go see a doctor?” unless a bone needs set – ๐Ÿ™‚

A long ago picture of the March Moon, in my neck of the woods – – yup, we have a bit more snow laying in various areas – but not much green showing up just yet ….

Now I got that ‘out of my system’….

That – being, in this case – my attempt to report on my own wanderings in spaces where time has no meaning, really and how much I miss out on because I’m lost in various ‘zones’ and such things – –

I just have to say –

I taste tested and ‘grazed’ all day during the great ‘food experiment’ day that I had so long put off doing, for the pure pleasure of it –

I also have, as previously observed by many in similar ‘phases’ of time, before, Not eaten enough to keep a bird alive – since – um….Sunday morning?

Not hungry – or if I am, I grap the equivalent of one hand sized portion – maybe prepared – maybe straight from fridge – and I’m not ‘waking up’ cuz I’m ‘hungry’ –

That said, I also learned long ago – while I enjoy tasty food, and enjoy good cooking, most times? I eat to live – experiencing pure joy over over-eating cuz I just can’t help myself, never happens to me ….

UNLESS!!!

The food involved has low to no nutritive value –

How do I know so?

Take the first two weeks the man-child moved home and shortly after my mom visited –

Mom brought store bought oatmeal snack cakes with the creme filling –

Son has more of a carb lovin/sweet tooth than I am tempted with occasionally-

and…figured, better have something more than a tablespoon ofย  peanut butter, mixed with raw honey and shoved down gullet at 3am, just to shut my body up and my recent re-dedication to not giving into my famous, Hot Tamale, Jolly Joes or Mike & Ike habit when stress strikes – –

End of the story?

Man those snack cakes tasted good – when they were in the house, I just kept eating – replaced –

And the more I ate, the hungrier I would get, in shorter time – and ate more –

Why?

Cuz – they weren’t fulfilling real nutrition needs – IMHO –

And had stuff in them, that, for whatever reason, tasted good enough to keep ‘wanting’ but in the end, was about as ‘efficient/effective’ as putting a butterfly band aid onย  a mortar wound –

Not working….

I no “likey” the whole “not working” thing – – ๐Ÿ™‚

ESPECIALLY when I’m eating more, satisfied less, and spending more –

The time/$ spent invested with no return on investment just really chaps my hide –

So – that said –

Why yes, I haven’t been able to truly enjoy purchased bread for over a year now – something changed, somewhere –

Maybe it’s me, maybe it’s manufacturing processes, maybe it’s something else –

Sometimes, though I crave some ‘bulk/sugar’ to ‘fill me up’ on the go – I can’t even get the morsel swallowed – my body rebels – –

Across the board – so it’s me – the source of food processed or changes in manufacturing/preserving shelf items – who knows?ย  Certainly not me –

But, in the past 8 weeks, I have either revisited the following lessons past-past learned:

1. home made bread from real sources (though seriously, the sprouted flour caused some issues, where has the regular flour, used for 24 hour ‘no-knead’ versions of attempts, did not) feeds me better on smaller amounts –

2. Farmer’s cheese, in handful or not quite drained to give ‘consistency’/texture of greek yogurt, and worked into bagel recipe,ย  satisfies me more, even made from powdered milk options, than same amount of purchased, ‘cheese’ I had in stock – and was ALSO spending vast amounts of $ on, store brand, for what I could afford, given my ‘craving/doing when busy’ consumption rates –

3. In the end – I know my band-aids for poor nutrition – poor exercise because I’m burning loads of calories ‘thinking about’ stuff that helps me to earn my grocery $ spent – I also knowย  – in the end?

Life is never, for me, better, than when I can eat gourmet/really planned for, anticipated full dinner OR when I have my tummy/senses fed, WHILE also eating on the run, cuz “I don’t have time to mess with cooking just now” –

And in the end – I guess, I still believe part of the ‘nutrition’ we get from stuff is wrapped up on many things – our intents, our motivations, our sources, our self-knowledge –

But again – when I work with ingredients, no matter how they are labeled, that are the result of sourcing the best I can, with the $ I have?

I am reminded, over and over of their blessings – and, thinking again, tonight, of my Dad’s usual ‘grace’ given, before a meal…

Thank you – bless this food to the nourishment of our bodies and bless the hands that prepared it.

And all that works wonders – –

Except for store bought, low cost, snack cakes –

Trust me – I tried blessing the durn things and their ‘line of production’ from field to lab – to factory – to sales – distributors –

For three days – I HONESTLY tried!

Didn’t work – ๐Ÿ™‚

At least not for me – ๐Ÿ™‚

The other stuff used for my previous weeks experiments?ย  Well – I don’t know the origins of every single source, but most of them, I do –

And some, while not my ‘preferred, close to the source’ options, well, I TRUST those who provide the shelf stable options for long term food storage plans –

Why?ย  Because they are the ones that, via their website, in 2006, (2007?) were the ones that educated me and gave me the info on the different nutrients available in different kinds of beans –

They cared enough to do the tests/report on, and say, “from this you get that, from this one, you’ll get this”

And so, the ingredients used that I don’t know the hands that raised, harvested, butchered, etc.?

They all came from folks I’ve come to trust (except for the sprouted flour – it was on sale from vendor I’ve long used – maybe it’s fine – maybe it’s not – but just saying – – – )

There!ย ย  More of my pondering and…ta da – – AND I came in under 1,000 words, right?!?

Slow Cooker Beef Stew

Awhile ago, I told you about my wonderful first experience of fixing Beef Pot Pie.

This weekend, I tweaked the recipe to make stew, and since I was the only one around, it kept me fed all weekend – Here’s the recipe:

Beef Stew Ingredients:

I used a skillet to brown the meat in the olive oil and liberally salt & peppered it.

Here, I must confess that I’ve run out of my ‘proper and nutritious’ home made deep bone broth – so bouillon cubes in water it is…

While the beef was browning, I placed the water, vegetable blend, beef bouillon and flour into the slow cooker, gave it a few quick stirs with a wire whip (to mix in the bouillon and flour), turned slow cooker setting to high and scraped the browned meat and drippings into the slow cooker.

Two hours later, I turned the slow cooker to ‘warm’ setting, and had my first bowl of stew for lunch.

It could have been ready in about 30-40 minutes had I cooked it fully on my induction top, but I prefer to spend 10-15 minutes in prep, and let my slow cooker slave in the kitchen while I’m off doing something fun.

๐Ÿ™‚

I’m eager to try other dehydrated veggie quick meal ideas and will be posting various ones as I go.

Happy (not-so-much) cooking!